Wednesday 8 February 2012

Patterns - how do you use yours?

We're spending an awful lot of time at the moment working with our pattern pieces. We're currently also doing a lot of research into the best paper to print on to.

Which brings me to this question: What do you do with your pattern pieces?


Are you a cutter or a tracer? Having spent precious ££s on your pattern do you like to trace the size you need and leave the original intact or do you go for it and cut it out?

Traditionally, patterns are printed on very thin tissue paper. Do you find this easy to work with? Or do you find yourself transferring onto something stronger and thicker for longevity? Would you pay more for a pattern printed on better quality paper? (Incidentally, there is a very good tip over here on the Coletterie blog which talks about reinforcing patterns with interfacing!)

We'd love to know your thoughts!

8 comments:

  1. I trace my patterns. It's mostly because I fluctuate in weight often (bad, I know) and I'd hate to get stuck with a pattern piece that I will have to adjust drastically to make it work.

    I really love the sturdy pattern paper. The Darling Ranges Dress pattern is printed on some great paper and it made it really easy to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. just left my thoughts on your other blog - will follow with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't used commercial patterns in a couple years, but I just ordered the Minorou jacket from Sewaholic and have been wondering what I will do with the pattern. I'll probably do the Colette interfacing technique.

    I draft my own patterns on brown craft paper. When I have a good pattern that I use often, I transfer it onto vinyl! It lays down flat without any wrinkles. Most of my patterns are pretty simple, so I don't have to worry about transferring markings, and I can store the bulkier vinyl patterns in my giant flat file drawers, so it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for these comments - all very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i tend to trace them if it's a pattern that I might need a variety of sizes. As for sturdiness v flimsy...would definitely pay a bit more for something with longevity ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to trace my patterns first onto swiss tracing paper. It takes more time but it means the patterns stay in tact and the tracing paper (being a fabric/paper mix) is robust enough to be used again and again :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i trace patterns for kids (as they grow so quickly!) but tend to cut those for me / adults as size and shape don't change too much. i like the trad tissue patterns as they fold / roll up small and don't use up too much precious storage space. Although would love to have giant flat file drawers, quite jealous of Julianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. With envelope patterns (the big four) I cut outside the largest size, place the pattern on the fabric with a book or two to stop them moving and cut (using scissors) under the relevant size line. When I'm done with them I store them in a dedicated set of drawers in their original envelopes. Patterns from Kwik Sew and Jalie, I cut on the largest size and carbon trace my size onto craft paper. With magazine patterns I carbon trace my size with a double wheel tracing wheel onto craft paper which I then store in plastic sleeves in a folder. I have separate folders for knits, wovens, tops and bottoms.

    ReplyDelete